Monday, November 17, 2014

Classroom Management

In my classroom there are a few classroom management techniques that I wanted to share. The first classroom management technique that I use in my classroom is a behavior chart. The behavior chart is meant to be a positive behavior system that shows the students and parents how their day was. The behavior chart is suppose to start a conversation with the child and their parent about the child's day. Below is an image of the behavior chart that I use. My classroom is space themed for the behavior chart is a rocket ship. I found this behavior chart on Pinterest to see it click on the following link,  Pinterest Behavior Chart. There are many other ideas for behavior charts on Pinterest.

My co-teacher and I send home a letter about the behavior chart in our welcome packet and we talk about it at our first curriculum night and discuss if any of the parents have any concerns. Part of the letter that we send home is as follows: One way that we strive to hold students accountable for their actions and making positive choices in the classroom is through the implementation of a behavior chart. It is also a great way for parents to start off a discussion with their child at pick-up about how things went that day.

Below is another classroom management technique that is in my classroom. We have eight student helpers jobs that the students can be. The jobs change every day and the students can lose their jobs if they are not making good choices. The eight jobs in my classroom is calendar helper, weather watcher, snack helper, lunch helper, chair checker, clean-up crew, teacher helper and line leader. The students love to earn a job and strive to do their jobs to the best of their ability. The pockets, people, and sticks I bought at a teacher store that I love, Chalkboard, that sells everything you can image from manipulatives, bulletin board boarders, calendars, laminating, etc. 

Below is an image of another classroom management technique that I use in my classroom. The center sign is used to transition the students from one center to another. The center signs are color coordinated to the center signs on the tables. The star sticks have each child's name on them and can easily be moved because of the velcro that is attached to it. However, each day we move the students around to be in different groups to ensure that they interact with a variety of their peers. After the initial grouping of the students the center signs are what I move to tell the students which center to go to. This method makes transitions as easy as possible because instead of having the move each child's star stick you only have to move the center signs. 


 What classroom management techniques do you use in your own classroom? 

No comments:

Post a Comment